Friday, July 27, 2007

Great looking OPAC , but does it work great??

Jenny Levine posted the Phoenix Public Library's "way cool" OPAC to her blog and made some interesting comments:
1. First, she mentions, "The home page IS the catalog and vice versa".
2. Phoenix is using the same Endeca product that NCSU uses for their catalog and it results in a library catalog and website which are decidedly "unlibrary-like".
3. Faceted browsing is used, which gives it a bookstore feel.
4. The library website is just darn cool-looking!

Take a look and see what you think...

1 comment:

Bonnie J. M. Swoger said...

I really like this. I like the drill-down aspect of the faceted browsing, and the item records, once you get a list, are very clear. I also like how you can easily move up and down the "tree" that is created.

I really like the fact that the web page is the catalog - you don't have to go into a separate system, and you can get to the books (and movies and DVD's faster).