Friday, February 02, 2007

Changes to web page search

At a web-content committee meeting a while ago, we noted that the library search didn't search any pages on the ERes server. As a result, students were missing a wide variety of available resources: none of the resources by subject pages or submission forms were searched.

I was recently able to make this change, but it had one unintended consequence. The search box at the top of the page now has faint lettering reading "Google custom search."

Will this cause confusion? Do we need to add text making it clear that the search is for the library web site and not all of Google?

I can't make the "Google custom search" text go away.

Please let me know what you think about this new change and if you encounter any problems.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Or, is it possible to change the actual text of "Google custom search" to something like "Search library website" or "Library custom search" if you can't make the lettering go away?

Bonnie J. M. Swoger said...

I can't change the wording of the text box at all. That text is pulled straight from Google and is the price we pay for the search service.

Rich said...

One library page I looked at included the following phrase in small letters directly above the search box: Search library for: