Monday, February 05, 2007

How do we define "intensive library instruction"?

In order to effectively target the right groups of students to take our SAILS assessment, we need to be able to pick classes that have had extensive library instruction. Marylou and I briefly discussed a starting point for a definition of "intensive" and we will need your input at the meeting on Wednesday to finalize it.

First, this is a program assessment: we don't want to target individual librarians or instructors. We would like to come up with a definition of "intensive library instruction" that will reach out to the work of at least three librarians. We would like to see a definition that includes a range of majors but that doesn't include INTD 105 classes.

We thought that library "intensive" classes would be those where the librarian worked extensively with students on one major assignment. The librarian would have assisted them at several stages of the research process including refining their thesis statement, identifying sources, critiquing sources and citing their sources.

Is this definition too broad? too narrow? How can we refine this definition to target the right students to take this assessment? We will be discussing this question at the meeting on Wednesday. Feel free to leave your comments on the blog or just bring your ideas to our meeting.

3 comments:

Sue Ann said...

One question: should these be students who are currently in a class receiving intensive instruction? I have taught HIST 221 for Crosby for several straight semesters but she is not teaching it this semester. Are the students from last or previous semesters not going to be asked to take the test?

Sue Ann said...

Your definition of intensive works for me.

Bonnie J. M. Swoger said...

I was hoping that we could try to get students from previous semesters as well. I'm not sure how well this will work logistically but I need to look in to it.