Tuesday, September 19, 2006
Go, Get It, Get it now, FindText or what?
Following up today's meeting, at which I sought suggestions for what we should call the generic "SFX" link in the coming version of the A-Z list of journals (see http://eres.geneseo.edu/library/research/metajournalsearch2.asp?lettersearch=p for an examples), can a consensus be formed using this blog? GetIt, Choose [Select] source, FullText, FindText, and others that escape me were made today, but we adjourned with the idea we wanted more time to think about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Two ideas I called out yesterday were "online access" and "online options." "Get it" sounds okay to me, but maybe "Get it now" would be more emphatic? As I looked at the example Paul showed on the screen yesterday, I noticed beginning dates for full-text access with certain databases, but rarely any end dates. Though it is certainly plausible that the databases I saw displayed yesterday may have access up until the present time, I've been seeing more and more dates that restrict us from the past year's worth of full-text.
How about GO
This is the term on the next screen when you have to click again. So there would be some consistency.
The SFX Knowledge Base is pretty aware of embargoes so usually when there is one the entry would read:
Pacific philosophical quarterly SFX Available from 1998. Most recent 1 year(s) not available in EBSCOhost Academic Search Premier:Full Text
By the way, these searches will run much faster using the Microsoft SQL Server database platform. Mark says he's ready to go once we get the link term.
What is the user "getting"? If they are going to "Browse by Journal Title" in the first place, are they doing this to search for a specific article or just to find out what years we own/have access to of a specific journal? Does it matter -- what does "Get it" get them?
I would use something more descriptive than Get it -- "Get full-text" or "Get full-text articles" or even "Go to full-text".
Post a Comment