Monday, September 11, 2006

Satellite Writing Learning Center

As most of you know, the Satellite Writing Learning Center has begun fall semester hours in the library. Tutors will be available to help students with their writing assignments Sundays 3pm-9pm and Mondays through Thursdays 8pm-11pm.

The tutors have the use of the filing cabinet on the left in the writing center space behind reference. The key to the filing cabinet is kept in the top drawer of the old wooden filing cabinet in the reference area. The tutors may ask you for the key or help themselves.

I spoke with the tutors last week and assured them that we would help their clients with citation styles, as the tutors felt particularly uneasy working with the various formats. Two other issues arose during our conversation - clients who monopolize their time and keeping order when long lines develop. I will post a sign in the writing center space specifying the 30 minute limit on consultations with tutors, and supply a sign-up clipboard for busy times.

If there are other concerns regarding the Satellite Writing Learning Center, please let me know.

1 comment:

Kim Davies Hoffman said...

Excellent solutions to the two problems, Nancy. I really like the idea of a visible sign specifying time limits and the sign-in sheet. I'm sure that these two things will help the center run more smoothly.